At Petteril Bank School we study RE through an enquiry-based approach using Discovery RE.
Christianity is taught in every year group, with Christmas and Easter given fresh treatment every year, developing children’s learning in a progressive way. Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism, Sikhism and Islam are also taught. We want to:
• Make RE a learning experience to look forward to
• Provide a safe enquiry space
• Encourage deep questioning
• Enhance critical thinking and evaluation skills
• Support spiritual development
• Equip children to celebrate diversity
We begin the unit with a key question which is underpinned by human experience. The key question for the enquiry is such that it demands an answer that weighs up ‘evidence’ and reaches a conclusion based on this. This necessitates children using their subject knowledge and applying it to the enquiry question, rather than this knowledge being an end in itself.
It is taught through a 4 stepped approach.